The title of beer sommelier has become established in the international brewing industry and has made a significant contribution to promoting beer culture, beer enjoyment and beer knowledge. Beer sommeliers are recognized and valued ambassadors of beer. It’s no wonder, then, that their numbers have risen steadily since the training program was launched in 2004.
Ever since 2009, the World Championship of Beer Sommeliers strives to recognise those who bring their skills to bear in this particular field of expertise. The event occurs every two years at a different location, organised and presented by the Doemens Academy of Gräfelfing, near Munich, Germany.
On September 11th, 2022, the champion will be sought for the seventh time from the ranks of the more than 7,000 beer sommeliers trained worldwide by Doemens and its partners, this time in the halls of Messe München on the eve of drinktec
85 experts of 20 diverse nationalities (e.g. Brazil, Canada, South Corea, Italy, Switzerland, Austria) have been invited to participate and to demonstrate their skills and knowledge for the judges.
In the preliminary round, both theoretical knowledge about beer and sensory skills in recognizing beer styles and beer flavors are required. The participants who qualify for the finals will compete in front of a top-class jury made up of prominent personalities from the beer sommelier scene. Each finalist must convince the expert jury with their knowledge of all beer-related topics as well as their presentation skills.
The winners of the past championships:
- 2009: Karl Schiffner (Austria), World Cup in Sonthofen, Germany
- 2011: Sebastian Priller (Germany), World Cup in Anif, close to Salzburg, Austria
- 2013: Oliver Wesseloh (Germany), World Cup in Munich, Germany
- 2015: Simonmattia Riva (Italy), World Cup in São Paulo, Brasil
- 2017: Stephan Hilbrandt (Germany), World Cup in Munich, Germany
- 2019: Elisa Raus (Germany), World Cup in Rimini, Italy
Without our loyal and visionary sponsors, organizing and presenting the World Championship of Beer Sommeliers would be impossible. The World Cup receives generous support from the following sponsors, who have dedicated themselves to beer culture and beer diversity. A big thank you to the principal sponsors
and the co-Sponsors
- Verband der Brauereien Österreichs (Austrian Brewers Association)
- Schweizer Brauerei-Verband (Swiss Brewers Association)
- Bayerischer Brauerbund (Bavarian Brewers Association)
In our gallery you will find pictures and movies of the world beer cup 2019 in Rimini